More Adventurous

Monday, October 05, 2009

Starting Out!

It is so easy for me to rush through life, careening from one project to another, and not taking time to enjoy any of them. I enjoy life more when I take time to savor the feeling of being alive, and to reflect on the people, experiences, and things for which I am grateful.

My goal in starting this journal is to slow down, to enjoy the life that God has given to me, and to make plans that lead to peace and happiness, for me, my wife, family, and friends.

I search almost constantly for wisdom, thoughts, and information, but I spend almost no time actually implementing any of them. I certainly have enough outside sources and opinions to consider, and I will definitely link to some of those in the entries to come, but my real goal is to find and see my thoughts, my heart, and to compare this with what is true, and with what God has lovingly said.

Here is what I aim to consider, what is true for me and everyone else in the world:
1) The internal life - what I strive for, dream about, and seek after.
2) Where my time and effort goes. God has said that this is where my heart is.
3) The external life - organization, finances, and fitness. All of these are certainly a reflection of the inner state, for me at least, but probably you too.

Socrates said that "the unexamined life is not worth living," and Micah 6:8 shows what we all must seek in examining and living our lives.

"He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?"

This is it!

Here is my goal then: to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with God.
And to write it down so I don't forget what I learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home