More Adventurous

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Nothing Better

I just received a sudden and rather jarring reminder of our shared mortality. A coworker sent me an email containing the phrase "I hope to see tomorrow!"

She probably meant to insert the word "you" in there somewhere, which would mean something entirely different, but as it reads, it forced me to examine the fleeting-ness of this life.

Now I am listening to "Nothing Better" by dcfc. "Tell me am I right to think / that there could be nothing better / than making you my bride / and slowly growing old together?"

"Don't you feed me lines about some idealistic future / and your heart won't heal right / if you keep tearing out the sutures."

This is what I get for listening to such sad music all the time!

I saw a man reading a Bible at the bus stop today, and it occurred to me how rare that is these days. Actually, someone reading is pretty rare too...

4 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger e said...

"All man is like grass; the grass withers, and the flower fades, but the Word of the Lord stands forever."

What an amazing promise and comfort in the face of mortality, to know that we have an eternal God who cares for us!

And yes, seeing people reading anything is pretty rare.... I've had a few eyebrows raised at my Anglo-Saxon textbooks when people drive by and see me reading them in the booth. :o)

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Kevin! I'm posting stories in my blog "NagaSaga" hahaha... If you like fairy tales, I hope to be putting some tidbits up there. I guess my blog BLOG is my xanga site, but with all you guys making actual blogs maybe I'll convert KteckTrekker into one as well.

Thanks for this post, it is good to think about mortality and whatnot...hmm. Well, best of luck!

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger e said...

Kevin!! This is no way to thank you properly, but maybe it will stand in as a sort of rain-check until I can.... I just got a mysterious package in the mail from Amazon, and it turned out to be "The Moonstone"! Thank you! Wow, what a beautiful copy, too! I can't wait to start reading it. It will remind me of that lovely week at Summer Conference, and of all the fun fellowship we've had. Thank you so much!

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home