More Adventurous

Monday, July 17, 2006

Taco Bell Philosophy

More Adventurous
While I was sitting in a Taco Bell today, I took time to look around at all of the other people in the restaurant. Many of them were middle-aged Caucasian men wearing button-down shirts and trousers, and with little computerized name badges hanging off of their belts, just like me. (Unlike me, they all had pretty heavy-duty middle-aged paunches and stomachs.)

Anyway, they looked like members of the engineering crowd, or at the very least programmers or something, and they were all eating tacos, fueling their bodies, and making money to sustain their chosen lifestyles. Basically, they were me in a few years (but paunchy. I'm not gonna be paunchy. Someone will pay, if I'm paunchy. I even hate that word. Yech.) ANYWAY! Forgive me for falling off-subject so easily.

I realized that on some day, some day that I can probably even imagine pretty clearly, I will be dying, and all of my worldly accomplishments or lack thereof will fade and disappear, having no further importance. I don't say this in a nihilistic way, or even in a discouraged way, because it is in this that I find so much comfort. Every day my understanding of God's goodness and of my own inability to make myself good grows. As this happens, my mind moves further and further from the pursuit of glory and riches, or even acceptance, and takes hold more firmly of the joy that God gives to all who trust him, and this is the peace that he gives to me. The word of God is holy and good, and it fills my heart like I know nothing else can. In no hidden place, anywhere, in this life or the next, is there something better than God.

That's not to say that some of his gifts to us aren't pretty wonderful...

1 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a great mental image... a Taco Bell full of middle-aged engineers and one young one gazing upon his future. it's amusing. you're not alone! at least you were at Bell instead of Bueno. (Bell's better because it knows its place and it lacks that miserably failed attempt at authenticity.)

anyway, i really liked this post. Only God's acceptance ultimately matters. This makes me happy, but it isn't easy. It's become easier not to care about not having acceptance from people in general or secular society. (Of course you're still respectful to these people, but you just don't let them shake you anymore.)

But what do you do if your own friends or family don't accept you, for whatever reason? It's much harder not to care about their lack of acceptance. Just keep pursuing God, I suppose. Would you like to talk about this later? ...I would :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home