More Adventurous

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

China Town

Today is the first day that I went out to find some good thing here in Houston. The day had cooled off by the time I left work, so I drove with windows down and Rilo Kiley on, and totally forgot my takeout container of Mexican food in the refrigerator. I was hungry, and maybe a little bit solitary, and just about then I remembered the grocery store my roomie told me about, so I searched out Bissonet Street, and the supermarket there.
Its name is "HEB" which are the initials for "Herbert E. Butz," the store's founder. I walked around looking at people for awhile, and finally got to the business of picking out food. I bought juice, spaghetti-Os, chili, and hamburger helper. After I left I realized "that's all so unhealthy!" but it was too late, and I wouldn't try to turn around on these streets for anything! Traffic here is really intense, and requires lots of attention.
Anyway, I got home and realized that the Houston Go Club was meeting today. so I high-tailed it to the China-district. They have a Chinese district! I eventually found the Chinese language school where the club meets, and when I came in, I found just two Chinese men there, talking in front of a television. Both of them seemed very excited to see me there, and the older one introduced himself as Vincent Wang, and I got the feeling that he was probably very skilled at Go. He asked me about my strength, and I said that I was somewhere around 19 kyu. He told me to take nine stones (AAAAHHHHHHHHH) and I did, having never done anything like this in my life. He destroyed me! It was so beautiful! He totally killed one of my corners, and he decimated almost all of my other territory! Eight o'clock came around, and he had to go, so I thanked him for the game and his instruction.
I walked outside and got into my car, feeling very happy to find a club that I could join, and some friends to make! I hadn't considered what it would be like to have no one to spend time with, but now I understand, and it's a little bit sad. Anyway, I got to know Houston a little bit better today, and I feel relieved.
Back to the part where I got into my car! I drove a block down the road, and passed a little Tai-Chi school. I've always been a little bit interested in how graceful it seems, and in my current exile, I could probably use some exercise, so I went in. The teacher was also, and not to my surprise, a middle-aged Chinese man, and he began by asking me a question I couldn't understand, over and over. We eventually abandoned it, and moved on to another subject. He showed me a succession of Tai-Chi magazines, all of which featured him on the cover. At first it seemed to me that he was bragging, but I eventually understood that if he was as good as he seemed to be, he was allowed to brag. Cutting to the chase, it seems that I'll probably be taking weekly lessons from Master Cheng Jin Cai this summer, and getting destroyed and rebuilt by Vincent Wang 5 Dan. I wonder, can the Chinese culture do a better job on me than the Anglo-American culture? Oh no! I still need to make dinner and play my cello! Take care, everyone!

1 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger The Erstwhile Philistine said...

Sweetness, dude. Glad you are starting to find some sort of niche. Though I would say to you, to quote the famous movie,

"Forget it, Kevin, it's just Chinatown."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home